Tuesday 20th September 2016
ATF Scotland one-day training course: Valuing and managing veteran trees
Location: Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh
This practical and theoretical course was devised by the Ancient Tree Forum and the VETree Project. It will be delivered by Adam Riedi, arboricultural consultant and co-ordinator of the Ancient Tree Forum Scotland.
The course is aimed at anyone with an interest in trees including arboricultural contractors and consultants, ecologists and land and forest managers. This courses will provide basic level information on valuing and managing veteran trees. Depending on the experience of those present there may be scope for more in-depth discussion.
When you have completed this course you should be able to do the following:
- Give a definition of a veteran tree that is of importance for biological or heritage value.
- Explain why trees can live so long
- Describe how and where roots grow and why they are important
- Undertake a survey of a veteran tree in the field
- Assess where management is likely to be appropriate for old trees or their surrounding
Approximately 9 to 4.30
- Definition of a veteran tree and their value for cultural history and biodiversity
- Trees and the ageing process
- Veteran trees and their habitat value
- Field visit to look at veteran trees
- Importance of roots and the management of the land around veteran trees
- Veteran trees and adaptive strategies for survival
- Management of veteran trees field survey exercise
- Introduction to pruning of veteran trees
- Protection, legislation, questions and summary of course
Delegates should bring a clipboard, suitable clothing for outdoor and indoor sessions and a packed lunch or money for the Botanics café. Course materials will be provided
You will receive a certificate of attendance.
The cost of this event is £75 (no vat payable) per delegate. To receive further details on course content or to confirm a place please contact ATF Scotland co-ordinator Adam Riedi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Cancellation and amendments to details:
ATF Scotland reserves the right to cancel courses and refund applicants if there is insufficient demand. A FULL charge will be applied to any booking cancelled less than 10 working days before the event