Home > Articles posted by ATF East Anglia

Blog

Post author archive


11th January 2017

ATF East Anglia visits Melford Hall

Richard Parmee

Meilford Hall

Richard Parmee joined the ATF East Anglia group in December for their winter field visit to Melford Hall in Suffolk

On a somewhat damp and grey day, 40 people made their way to Melford Hall, for the chance to see some of the estate’s ancient trees.  The estate’s roots can be traced back to the 13th century, though the current estate is now much smaller than before.  Led by Robert Adams, the volunteer garden manager for the National Trust, the group were able to view many trees not normally accessible to the public, including one of impressive girth.

read more

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

5th May 2016

ATF East Anglia group visit to Ickworth

Reg Harris

ATF visit to Ickworth April 2016

Sally Clark joined the ATF East Anglia group in April for their field visit, led by Ted Green, to see the tea party oak and other ancient and veteran trees at Ickworth in Suffolk.

‘The park is fine. The ground nobly broke into hill and dale, it is piled round it a deep rich soil, there are fine hanging woods and lawn.’  Duchess of Northumberland c. 1770

Ickworth was the family home of the Hervey family for some 500 years, but since 1956 it has been in the care of the National Trust, and it was thanks to Martin, Dee and Sean that the ATF was able gain an insight into how the trust are managing this vast and varied site.

read more

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

27th October 2015

Jon Ryan attends the first meeting of ATF East Anglia in Captain’s Wood

By Reg Harris

Rodney West of Stanny Field Centre, with a veteran silver birch

On an autumnal day in October the inaugural meeting of the East Anglian branch of the ATF took place at Captain’s Wood, near Sudbourne in Suffolk. The event was incredibly popular, with 54 people giving up their Saturday to spend time looking at and learning about old trees.

Captain’s Wood has a recorded treed history dating back over 1000 years and is a remnant of a medieval wood pasture that once covered many hundreds of acres. It has stunning ancient oak pollards, set amongst birch and lapsed hazel coppice, situated between the famous Staverton Thicks and the Suffolk coast. read more

8 Comments | Leave a Comment

TOP