29th November 2018
ATF East Anglia’s Visit to Weald Country Park, Brentwood
21 July 2018
A warm sunny day greeted around 40 people at Weald Country Park, situated north-west of Brentwood, a world away from the nearby A12/M25. The walk was led by Jim Curry, a local arborist from Harlow who has worked on the park’s veteran trees and whose knowledge of the site and navigation skills proved invaluable. Before setting off Jim explained Weald was originally owned by Waltham Abbey and became a deer park in the 12th century. Part was then converted in the late 17th-early 18th century into a Capability Brown style landscape. The park was in private ownership until bought by Essex County Council in 1951 and opened as a country park a couple of years later.